May 20, 2008

Monday, Monday

Usually I feel a little whiny after a long Monday - not today! The sun was warm and bright and it was the last Monday of the school year. Just writing it makes me smile, no more Monday alarm clock, no more pestering Ella to get ready before school, we just have to make it through 3.5 more days! That is totally doable.

Yesterday I purchased dirt. My raised bed for vegetables was looking a little low, and it is warm enough at night now to support veggies - yeah! So I dumped the couple of bags I bought and mixed the compost all over and I felt like a kid playing in the mud pies we made on occasion growing up. (Washington, on the Olympic Peninsula is very rainy.) I probably wasn't nearly as dirty, but I don't do dirt like that very well anymore. So that was enough for one day and we decided to plant seeds today. This Monday went much quicker than typical, thankfully there were a few minutes for the girls and I to get out there this evening. My bed is 16x4' - not huge but enough to get a good bounty. I have found in the past few years that we don't eat everything or have a chance for some stuff to ripen so I just grow a lettuce mix, and carrots. Plus they can handle the cold if it happens to freeze again (it will freeze again).

The girlies were so excited to help out. I made rows for them to drop seeds into and I'm hoping for the best - we could have some really uneven rows. Ella does great - she planted all the carrots, Emmalie and Sophia just kept asking for more seeds. Thinning will be required in areas, but it is all part of the fun!

My other project for today was practicing free-motion quilting. I have tried a bit off and on without much confidence but made huge strides today. I meant to take pictures - it is fun looking - but it is dark now. I will try to tomorrow =)

Sweet dreams or Happy Tuesday -
Amy