October 20, 2008

Geometry Anyone?

As usual I had drawn up my own plans for a tree skirt. Then I had to sit down and figure out how make it! Realizing how rusty my geometry skills are, I turned to google (love google!). If I'm working on something small, trial and error works. But this time, I didn't have enough time or fabric for trial and error :) After a few minutes of searching I found this really cool tool! You can move it around to help figure out the size of square to cut, or what the diagonal of a square will be. I already emailed the author to see if he would consider adding the usual inch increments not used so far.
This is the center of my tree skirt, it measures about 23" square so far. I am so happy to say that everything on last weeks to do list is done or started! I even ordered my new machine!!!

Hope you are having a great Monday! I need to plan dinner and get everyone to gymnastics here in a bit . . . Monday's are long lately :)
Amy

12 comments:

SaraVictorious said...

The ornament fabric in the center is so cute! I love it! Can't wait to see what the rest of the skirt looks like. I can't believe all you industrious people have already started Christmas projects... my hat off to you!

Can't wait to hear how you like the new machine, once it's delivered and humming!

Amy said...

my tuesdays are like that - they go on forever.

Holly said...

Looking good! I need to get started on my son's birthday present. His birthday was last month!

audreypawdrey said...

This looks great! I am excited about hearing about your machine, too. I am thinking of purchasing one at some point in the future, so I am looking for some feedback.:)

Jessica said...

I really want to make a tree skirt this year...we'll see if I get around to it...but if I do I'll be calling back for help!

jacquie said...

eeek! geometry. not for me. good for you figuring this out. i also love that ornament fabric in the center. my mom was looking for something like this to go in her tablerunner. do you remember where you got it?

sewtakeahike said...

thanks for the geometry tool tip Amy! You just never know when you'll need something like that!

Janis said...

Thank you for the wonderful link. I don't know yet why I will need that but one day I WILL, that's for certain.

Am I the only one wondering what new machine you ordered? How exciting for you - congrats!

Corrina said...

man I wish I had your skills!!! I have so many projects like that in my head...but they never come to fruition. Lack of time, lack of talent :)

Anonymous said...

The skirt is going to be so pretty. Sounds like you are on the ball this week!

Marrdy said...

Love the fabric and the design. Gotta give google a try for some counted cross stick designs. Never even thought of it. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see it finished. Looks great so far. I really need to make a new tree skirt.
Teresa