November 03, 2009

Christmas Stocking Tutorial

I'm so excited to share my Stocking Tutorial with you! Thanks for all your sweet compliments the other day - my family is excited to have special stockings made by mom!
There are a lot of little steps, but they are so fun to put together! I hope that you have a go at it. I used a total of 12 fat quarters (2 per stocking) and a scraps for the stars. I used 1/4" seams for the star construction, and 3/8" for the general construction of the stocking.


1. Trace a stocking or find a pattern. (Google stocking pattern if you need a pattern) I used this little one as a starting point, I didn't want them too big, as we usually just put candy in our stockings. Mine measures 6 1/2" across the top, and 16 1/2" long - at the longest point.
2. Cut out a front and back (exterior) panel. The easiest way is to fold it in half and cut 2.
3. Cut out lining in the same way. You need a total of 4 panels for each stocking.
4. Fold your pattern down 5 1/2 inches. Don't cut the pattern! With the front of your stockings, cut it with your pattern folded. We are making room for the stars!
5. To make the stars, you need 8 - 2 1/2" squares in a light color, and 5 - 2 1/2" squares in a contrasting color. I used Victoria's tutorial for making stars - I don't need to redo her beautiful work!6. Construct your stars, like this. Then sew to the front of stocking panel.
7. Take the tops that you cut off in step 4, and cut 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips - one per stocking. Take them to the ironing board - iron in half on the length, then fold each edge into the center again, and press flat.
8. Top stitch close to the edge to close. Set aside for later.
9. Baste your stocking front to a piece of batting, and quilt. I quilted in cream thread and opted to add names in red. My machine has a pretty alphabet, but you could also hand embroider the names if you like. I'm not sure you can see it, but I didn't quilt over the star, just around it. If you haven't done any free-motion quilting yet - this is a great size project for getting started!
10. After quilting, get your pattern and pin in place. Trim batting /stocking to the pattern. I cut a touch off the top - they go together much easier if the pieces are all the same size :)
All your fronts are ready to become stockings!
11. Pin back panel to front - right sides together and sew!
12. Clip curves and trim seam allowance.

13. Pin lining pieces together - leaving a 6" gap in the back, as indicated below and sew. Be sure to backstitch your openings. Clip your curves like you did in step 12.
14. Insert exterior into the lining, right sides together. Match seams, then add loop. Fold it in half and tuck between exterior and lining, the side with no batting.
Pin it in place, right next to the seam.
15. Sew around the top of the stocking. I backstitched over the loop for extra security.
16. Pull stocking through the opening in the lining.
17. Pin opening shut.
18. Sew close the edge to close opening. Then tuck lining inside of stocking.
19. Top stitch around opening! And enjoy :)

I hope that everything makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions, and I want to see if you make them!

Blessings ~
Amy
----------------------------------------
Subscribe to parkcitygirl
Shop with Amy
Email me

Bookmark and Share


51 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

I have been waiting for this...thanks for the tutorial. I loved these the minute I saw them.

HMaas said...

Thanks for the tutorial - now to find the time to make them!!

Always Sewing said...

Another great item from you. You inspire me with your projects. I am always excited when you pop up on my Google Reader. I know you will have another great quilt to inspire me with.

Carin said...

Very cool thanks so much!

Audrie said...

Lovely! Thanks for the tutorial Amy :)

QuiltyBee said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I've always wanted a family of stockings (now that my oldest is nearly out of high school!). These I like!

Jackie Russell said...

Great tutorial and stocking!

amylouwhosews said...

I really love these! Once I get this dress done I can move onto other projects. I need a tree skirt too.

Jessica said...

I just got home from the fabric store...I should have looked here first! Now I need some holiday fabric for stockings!!!! These are great!

Anina said...

Cute Amy! Thanks!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Amy - those stockings are adorable!!! I especially love that you have each one's name on them. Super cute.

SueWis said...

These are just adorable! Thanks for the tutorial.

So many projects, so little time.

Kelly O. said...

aren't they beautiful!
having a homemade stocking far surpasses anything you could ever buy in a store.

Jaimie said...

Wow. I am in awe of you!!! Not only because you made all of those but you also typed out all those instructions and even posted pictures!! I really hope one day I can sew like you! I would love to make these some day. They would also make great gifts - maybe a smaller version to put some hot cocoa in or something. So cute!!

dolores said...

Wowser...Fantastic!:) I have been making a similar stocking for a while. It is my stock new baby or wedding present but instead of the quilted wonky star I would do a little cross stitch picture and the recepients name....but now you have given me a new idea....love it!! So much easier too!!:)
Guess I need to see if I have any pictures and blog about it next month!
Love the fabrics you choose, sooo fun, these are going to be such a wonderful tradition each year getting them out and hanging and admiring!:)

Thimbleanna said...

These are adorable Amy -- thanks for the tutorial! Did you save extra fabric in case the family grows? ;-P

Terriaw said...

What a cute project for the family! I have done something similar by tracing one of those red and white felty stockings. Love the maverick star you added to the cuff. You make it all look so easy!

SewCalGal said...

Amy, thank you. I'm amazed what you accomplished with the scale, as I really wouldn't have thought about it....but your scale would certainly work for any size. I'm inspired and want to make some.

Delightful. Thank you for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Paloma said...

Great tutorial Amy!! We just started with some Christmas music to get in the mood. After all, it takes time and inspiration to get all the Christmas crafts done.

em's scrapbag said...

These are so great! I love the stars:)

Vicki said...

Cool tutorial! I just want to say--I love that the ad in your feed and under the post is for diabetic socks. Teehee....

sewtakeahike said...

adorable fabric choices Amy! cute tutorial too, you're such a whiz!

randi said...

Too cute, Amy! Love that sock set you made!

Vals Quilting said...

what a great tutorial just in time for Christmas - I'm going to link back to you in my blog.

Nicely done girl!!
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Vals Quilting said...

what a great tutorial just in time for Christmas - I'm going to link back to you in my blog.

Nicely done girl!!
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Creative Craft Ideas said...

These are so cute. I don't know why I never thought to trace a stocking before to make my own pattern. YAY! We only have those old cheap ones made of felt and it is about time I make some really nice ones! Thanks a bunch!

Anne

Rebekah said...

very cute! Thanks for posting this tutorial!

Dena said...

You've written a great tutorial on how to make the Christmas stockings. Nice job! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

Great stockings, Amy. You sure are busy with the projects these days! I just might have to give these stockings a try~they're adorable.

Quiltblocktour said...

Thanks for the tutorial! They are so adorable and definitely something I can get done for the holidays! Thanks for posting!

Dee said...

Such pretty fabric and I love the stars! Congratulations on such a great tutorial!

Thanks for sharing this Finish with us!

Blessings!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Amy these stockings are wonderful!!! I think a minature version would make a sweet advent decoration. Thanks for the tutorial!!

SEWButterfly said...

Thank you for the tutorial!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Those are great stockings and thank you for the tutorial!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great tutorial and another way to use wonky stars!

Heather said...

Those are just beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to share your tutorial! :o)

Catherine said...

They look so cute all in a row like that. Thanks for the great tutorial too.

Sarah Lou said...

Thank you so much for the tut. This is so very sweet!

Rene' said...

I love these stockings!!! Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

Nina... said...

I love this project! Great tutorial. Thank you.

allyn said...

amy-these are adorable. i have a baby shower to go to and the girl doesn't know what she is having, so that makes it hard to get something or even make something. what baby doesn't need a stocking? mine didn't have one until most of them were 3 because i was so slack.
okay, so i am going to copy your tutorial and make it today (the shower is tomorrow, of course).

audreypawdrey said...

This is awesome! These are beautiful stockings and the instructions are wonderful-adding it to the neverending list....

Amanda Jean said...

they are so great!!! I love that fabric!

Dresden Quilter said...

I love love these stockings and the fabric you used for them. Thank you for the tutorial. You are such a giving person.

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I featured these at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

Creative Crafts by FloralShowers said...

These are beautiful! Great job...wish I had time to make some of these!!!

Anne

Unknown said...

wow the star gives them a pretty cute touch!!!thanks for the tutorial i gotta try this

Stephanie Hughes said...

Amy, love the tutorial. The stockings are adorable. Love the star on top and the lining.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Too late for this year, but a definite project for next!

Myra said...

Thanks for sharing your project tute! It will give me a jump on next Christmas! 8-)

Anonymous said...

These look soooo fun!! I just did your Bible cover and it turned out great. These will be my next project. Thank you for sharing!!