April 23, 2010

Featuring Isa -- A Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilter!


Hi there!  The featured quilter today is Isa!  I hope you enjoy getting to know her more --

1. When did you begin quilting?
I started quilting in the summer of 2008, while being pregnant with my youngest daughter Marie, I wanted to make her a baby blanket under which she could be kept warm and safe. In my last trimester I had a hard time sleeping, and so I spend my nights sewing and surfing the internet learning about patchwork, quilting and such. And that first quilt really got me hooked (some may say obsessed…)

2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt because I simply can’t stop… And because I really enjoy the process in which small pieces of fabric create a new whole.
It’s also a great stress relief for me, and I would probably be a much grumpier person if I didn’t quilt.

3. What is your favourite quilting tip?
My favourite quilting tip or advice is the importance of accurate seam allowance, and to not save money on a seam ripper… but get the best there is.

4. What was your inspiration behind your Quilt Festival quilt?
My entry to the quilt festival was a quilt I made as part of Crazymomquilt’s one a day minepatch quilt along. (…and breath…) I really like the ninepatch block because it’s so simple and yet so versatile. I wanted to make a scrap quilt using scraps from other quilts I’ve made, so that the quilt in this way would be a walk down memory lane. The rainbow or colorway layout is an absolute favourite of mine, and it seemed like a good and easy way to arrange the scrappy blocks.

5. Do you sew other things?
Yes I sew other things as well, both personally and professionally. I’m in the midst of taking a bachelor degree in textile education and handicraft… A sort of handicraft teacher for adults. So I sew a lot in school, primarily clothes and garments.  In my spare time I also enjoy sewing softies, bags and home décor in general.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
Hmm.. What’s there more to tell?
I’m beginning to be more interested in designing fabric, we have had a couple of courses in screen printed fabric, and I really love doing it. My eyes also been opened to the world of digital textile print, and I hope to become better at using illustrator and photoshop during this year.

Thank you for listening to me talk about myself J
And thank you Amy for being such an inspiration and for having such a lovely blog.
Isa

-----
Thanks so much for sharing Isa!  I'm envious and curious to know more about your degree - sounds amazing!
Have a great weekend everyone :)
Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps: Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

13 comments:

Leslie said...

i love these featured blogger pieces!!! they are always so interesting and amazing

Dixie2011 said...

Beautiful fabrics! Love your choices.

Anonymous said...

I just ready your kitty post and I to am extremely allergic to cats. However we have found it is the pollen that clings to the dander that causes the problem. We got a kitten for our kids and bathed her weekly for two months and never let her go outside. WooHoo no allergy problems and our relatives that come to visit don't have problems with their cat allergies at our house either. Just in case you decide to keep the cat. I still have problems with other peoples cats that go outdoors.

momto2wasd said...

What beautiful quilts she has made!!!

RosaMaría said...

those quilts are fantastic! full os color!!!

Millie said...

I love all the quilts...so full of color and clean simple lines!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this...she has some lovely quilts. I also started sewing whilst I was on maternity leave after having my daughter....must be the nexting instinct!!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Nice intro.
BTW, Amy, the site looks great!

MaggieB said...

I wonder how many quilters started quilting while pregnant so they could make their baby a quilt? I bet a LOT!

Allie said...

Lovely interview, I really enjoyed getting to know Isa. And to find her blog, I'm now a follower, thanks Amy!

amylouwhosews said...

Beautiful quilts! I see she likes Sandi Henderson too!

Elizabeth said...

Loved getting to know Isa better. Her quilting is beautiful and I love the rainbow scrappy nine-patch!

Ariane said...

Thanks for sharing this interview with us. I love Isa's quilts!