April 30, 2010

Featuring Rita -- A Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilter!


Odds are you know today's featured quilter - it's Rita from Red Pepper Quilts!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Rita a little more --

1. When did you begin quilting?
Rita's First Quilt
I began quilting about 10 years ago.   Both my mother and sister are quilters, and it is their passion for quilting which appealed to me, and with their encouragement I began my own quilting journey. My first quilt is dated 2001 and was made using a magazine pattern.  When I look at my first quilt I can see that I have made so much progress, and that my eye for color and design has changed direction.  This quilt even represents all those elements of quilting that I currently try to avoid - applique, hand stitching, hand quilting and hand stitched binding!

2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt because I absolutely love it.  I love my fabric stash, enjoy fabric and color play and enjoy the freedom of piecing without a pattern.  

3. What is your favourite quilting tip?
My favorite quilting tip: - Break all the rules, and do what works well for you.   I do not have a sewing background, no training in design or color, but have found my own way to work towards making quilts that appeal to me. 
4. What was your inspiration behind your Quilt Festival quilt?
My inspiration for the Quilt Festival quilt was to exhibit a quilt that was made early in my quilting journey - at time where I was still reliant on others to choose fabrics, and as such this quilt was made from a complete fabric kit.  I did not dare to alter the layout of this quilt in any way.  My fabric and color skills have since progressed - at first by taking calculated risks in fabric selections - and feel that I am now at a point where I am confident with my own fabric choices.

5. Do you sew other things?
I don't sew other things ... at all.  
-----
Rita - Thank you so much for sharing your quilts and your journey with us!    I love your use of color :)


Happy Weekend Everyone!
Amy
--------------------------------------------------- 
Next steps: 
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side 
Shop with Amy 
Follow Me on Twitter 
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook 
Email me


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Rita's quilts and her blog! She does wonderful work!

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks to both of you! Rita is a fabulous quilter -- I love her blog too!

Audrie said...

Love Rita's work... always stunning and inspired.

I had to laugh at the answer to Qn 5... I respond the same way lol

Molly said...

Very inspiring! I just started quilting last year and I hope someday I can look back at my quilts and see that I've grown. I hope ... I hope....

It's nice to get reminded that even amazing and prolific quilters started at the beginning.

Kelly O. said...

love her work!

Allie said...

I LOVE her blog - great interview!

AnnieO said...

Great to get to know Rita a little bit. I enjoy her blog a lot and she is generous with her techniques and idea process, just like today's guest visit to you!

Quilts on Bastings said...

Great interview Rita - that first quilt brings back some memories!

amy smart said...

I loved this too. I love Rita's use of color! Her quilts are fabulous and always inspiring.