June 04, 2010

Featuring Barb & Mary -- Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilters!


You read that right!  Today I am featuring a pair of bloggers - Barb and Mary.   They are the last of the fall Festival features, thanks so much to all of you that have nominated bloggers in the last week!

Mary--
1. When did you begin quilting?
I made my first quilt in 1978.  It was a graduation gift for my college boyfriend, a huge brown puff quilt that was more like a lead blanket than a quilt.  I had stuffed each puff with heavy cotton batting. (Who knew?) Luckily there are no pictures of this regrettable work. :)

2. Why do you quilt?
Like Barb, I've always enjoyed all types of needlework, knitting, sewing, cross stitch, needlepoint, rug hooking - you name it I've done it.  When I tried quilting it just stuck with me.  I could be creative and make something beautiful, and be practical and make something useful at the same time.  And, more importantly, quilting has brought me many great friendships through the years.
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
I don't have a favorite tip but I like Barb's very much.  I'm going to try that.  (Read below!)
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
I was one of the three friends in this group project.  I remember being captivated by the picture of the original quilt in Kaffe's book.  It was neat to find out that my friends felt the same way so we decided it would be a fun project
5. Do you sew other things?
I'm a big sewer - I mostly sew quilts but I also like to make jackets.  In addition to the quilt blogs, I love reading the sewing blogs - those ladies are making incredible garments.  I've also made a fair number of drapes and curtains in my day.
6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
My family has recently relocated to the Midwest (Zionsville, IN) and it's my quilting and knitting that are helping me feel connected in this new community.  
-----
Barb--
1. When did you begin quilting?
I started quilting when my son was born in 1989.  My first quilt was a pattern of sailboats for him.  I made that quilt, and then I took a class to learn how.
2. Why do you quilt?
I have always enjoyed needlework starting with embroidery and cross stitch.  I was always drawn to quilts in Country Living Magazine in the 1970s and 1980s.  When I started a family, I finally felt I had the time to pursue it.
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Make time to do a little everyday.  Even 15 minutes of quilting or appliqueing can make a difference in finishing a project.  And never leave home with a little project. 
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
The quilt in Kaffe Fassett's Museum Quilts from the Victoria and Albert museum.  It was a group project with 3 of my quilt friends.  We used his patterns and made many of our own.  We modified it quite a bit from Kaffe's version, using the original as inspiration.

5. Do you sew other things?
I enjoy making purses, jackets and the occasional Halloween costume.  I also like to do needle punch and red work. 

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
One of the things I enjoy most about being a quilter is all the wonderful and fun women I have met over the years.  I have had the pleasure of being in many guilds and sewing groups where I feel supported and encouraged and where we have fun!


-----
Thanks to Barb and Mary!  I hope you all enjoyed getting to know these ladies better :)
Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps:
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

3 comments:

Zlaty said...

Very creative ladies!

Happy sewing!

Inch Worm Fabrics said...

Love to get to know other quilters and their stories are unique and familiar at the same time.

Vicki said...

I love both of their fall festival quilts!