June 25, 2010

Featuring Debbie -- A Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilter!

Hi Friends!  I hope you are doing well, I've had a busy week with the kids and hope that the weekend is relaxing!  We'll see how much sewing I can squeeze in!

Today's featured quilter is Debbie!  Debbie blogs at Esch House Quilts and has an amazing aesthetic to her quilts.  Enjoy --

1. When did you begin quilting? 
I began quilting in 2002 after sewing pretty much my whole life.
2. Why do you quilt? 
Because I can’t stop! Seriously, the colors and the graphic design are such a wonderful creative outlet. It is so satisfying to create something from your own mind with your own hands. And better yet if that something keeps you warm, warms the heart of a friend or the décor of your home.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip? 
I’m not very good at free motion quilting, so when I want to quilt a curvy motif on a quilt, I draw it on freezer paper, iron it to the quilt top and quilt around the freezer paper. 



4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt? 
When I was designing “A New View” there were several ideas going around in my head. I was interested in making an asymmetrical quilt and in the graphic possibilities of very simple blocks. I was fascinated with windows in buildings around town and I wanted to make a scrap quilt that was not multicolored. These ideas all merged together to become “A New View”. 

5. Do you sew other things? 
I do sew other things. These days my non-quilt projects are most likely to be home dec projects such as roman shades, curtains or pillow covers. I used to make a lot of clothes and have made quite a few Halloween costumes! 


6. Anything else you would like us to know about you? 
I am so inspired by all the amazing (mostly) women I see on the Internet finding time to fit creativity into their busy lives.

-----
Thanks for sharing Debbie!  I love your FMQ tip, that is a great tip for anyone wanting to move into more free motion quilting.  


:)  Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps:
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

8 comments:

Sarah said...

The brown and teal quilt is STUNNING!!

Allie said...

Wow - wow - wow - what amazing quilts. Thanks Amy for introducing us to another wonderful quilter!

SheilaC said...

The quilts are gorgeous!

And I love that tip for FMQ! I will have to try that out...

SheilaC

Cecily said...

Wow! Those are really beautiful. The birds, in particular, are stunning...

Janis said...

Hi Amy. It was good to see a message from an old friend. Thank you so much for your kind words and your prayers. It's been a really rough way to go. I am only now beginning to feel that someday I may rekindle my interest . . . in sewing, in life . . . Your latest quilts are stunning (as usual) and you have so much going on that I've missed out on. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'll be back.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Love Debbie! I'm so excited to be the mid mod bee with her.

Ivory Spring said...

What a great feature - thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

Amy, you're the bestest! Thanks so much for the tip about the pins, I finally found some, and I L O V E, Love them!!!

Blocks coming soon!