July 09, 2010

Featuring Wendy -- A Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilter!


Hi there!  Today our featured quilter is Wendy of Ivory Spring - I hope you enjoy getting to know Wendy a bit more --

1. When did you begin quilting?
I began quilting in October 2005 with no prior sewing experience or whatsoever.  My quilting mentor and friend Barbara had been talking to me about giving quilting a try.  Right about that time, my husband had a new nephew - so, that was just the reason I needed to start my first quilt. 

2. Why do you quilt?
I have always been fascinated by quilts, but never did venture into the world of quilting because I didn't know how to sew.  I love Baltimore quilts, and want to actually reproduce one some day.  I quilt because I want to share in the experience of quilters in the past that had produced the many treasured quilts.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Do not be intimidated by the difficulty level of a quilt pattern - if you like it, jump right into it.  You will learn a lot in the process and build your confidence level.  And the sense of gratification is enormous when the project is completed.  For my first quilt, I chose a pieced and applique pattern.  It was not exactly easy, but I felt really good after I complete the project.  

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
I was inspired by my love of spring, and the fabrics I was given with which to work.  Tulips were the perfect subject for spring! I wanted it to be a sweet quilt - so, adding the ribbon bows made the vase of tulips look like they are meant to be gifted to someone to make their day special.

5. Do you sew other things?
Yes, I dabble in heirloom sewing for my 17 month old daughter.  I love to do hand smocking, and thus does a bit of heirloom garment construction. 

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

I am originally from Southeast Asia.  I came to the States when I was 19 to pursue a degree in Chemical Engineering.  I ended up with two degrees in Chemical Engineering.  I worked for 7 years in a research wind tunnel at the University of Arkansas.  I am now a work-at-home quilt designer and mom and wife.  My work has been featured in The Quilter, Quilter's World, UK's Popular Patchwork, Quiltmaker, Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Quilting & Embroidery, Bernina's Through the Needle, and Creative Machine Embroidery.  I am very excited about my upcoming features in Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting and Easy Quilts!  My passion is free-motion quilting on my home machine.  Wholecloth is the keyword to melt my heart!

Wow!  Your quilts are beautiful - thanks for sharing Wendy!
Have a great weekend~
Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps:
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

9 comments:

Bec said...

Amazing Machine Quilting!! Thanks for sharing...so inspiring!

Linda said...

You have accomplished so much in so little time. I am very impressed by your work!

bethanndodd said...

WoW...hand smocking...I don't even know what that it is...lol. I have no doubt (from the picture) that your daughter looks nothing but adorable in your designs though. Your quilts are beautiful! Thank you for sharing...

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Beautiful quilts and such varied designs and techniques! The little girl's dress is adorable! I've never done smocking but I know the amount of time involved so I can appreciate it!

Nima said...

wow...wendy is always a great inspiration for me...i enjoy visiting her blog...thank you for sharing this

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

Gorgeous ; Beautiful ; Amazing -- I need more words !! thanks for sharing !

Allie said...

So good to see Wendy here - she's an amazing quilter!!!!

JariJari said...

hello from another countrywoman ! I love your quilting...! Keep it up!

Amy said...

Lovely work! You have amazing talent!