1 head of garlic
1/4 C Olive Oil
2 large onions
3-4 T dried basil (1 bunch of fresh, chopped)
1 T dried oregano
1 T salt (to taste)
1/2 T black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp chili pepper flakes - this will add more heat as it simmers
1 tsp fennel seeds - crushed
2 T balsamic vinegar
10# can stewed tomatoes (if using fresh, blanch, peel, core and de-seed)
- Roast garlic in oven at 350 for 1 hour.
- Warm olive oil in large dutch oven, over medium/low heat. Finely chop onion, add to oil. Slowly saute and caramelize. Be patient here for a mellow sweet flavor :)
- Peel and chop/smash garlic. It is a gooey mess after roasting.
- When onions are translucent and slightly brown, add garlic through balsamic vinegar. Cook the vinegar into all the vegetables for 1 minute. (If using fresh herbs wait to add after tomatoes)
- Add tomatoes and cover.
- Stir occasionally while cooking over low heat. I like to keep the lid slightly ajar to allow the sauce to thicken.
Let me know if you make it and what you think~
I also whipped up a pdf of this post so you can easily print the recipe for later! Enjoy
Subscribe to parkcitygirl