September 03, 2009

SewConnected - August & A Little More

I know - it's already September, I was slow to take the time to figure out paper piecing. I've read a few tutorials, but until I sit down to do something for the first time - it is still an unknown. In the end I had a lot of fun making these for Amy -

August Blocks for Amy

  • Over last weekend I took the time to make tomato sauce for the winter. It was an experiment. I love to make my thick and hearty sauce, but usually use canned tomatoes from the store. So I bought up 30 fresh, locally grown tomatoes at the farmer's market - after all the simmering I was left with 2.5 quarts! I was/am a little disappointed :( It's not cost effective, I can purchase a 10# can at Costco for less than $3 - and it renders enough sauce for a months worth of dinners. The fresh tomato sauce tastes so good - but I can't tell the difference. What would you do? Anyone care for a recipe?

  • My sister is on her way to visit over the long weekend :) It's been almost two years since her last visit - I'm looking forward to our weekend together!

  • I've been a bit quiet here this week as we have started school, and working out new routines. Ella is in 4th grade - I cannot believe it! Time seems to keep flying by. Emmalie will start Kindergarten next week after all the assessments have been done and teachers assigned - watch for more tears then. The first day of the school year always makes me misty eyed - all the hope and promise of a new school year. Learning, growing, becoming more independent - of course this is what I want for them - I am brimming with pride.
  • My DQS7 quilt is near completion - I'm hoping to share it tomorrow for Sew-N-Tell :)

Many Blessings ~
Amy

----------------------------------------

Subscribe to parkcitygirl
Email me

24 comments:

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Your quilt blocks are so cute!

shellysquilts said...

That sure is alot of work for three jars of sauce. Your blocks are great. Enjoy your visit.

wishes, true and kind said...

Love the quilt blocks! I like mixing up different sizes of the same block.

Latane Barton said...

It's not the cost that people make gardens and can and freeze, it's the feeling of doing something with their hands.

Cheryl Arkison said...

While I try to avoid Costco most of the time, I agree with you on the sauce front. I made ketchup last year and though the same thing. But oh, the taste!

Heather said...

I am LOVING that blue fabric! :)
I'm with you on the canning. So much work when it's not that expensive to just buy organic, good stuff :D

amylouwhosews said...

I definitely think that homecanned jam is the way to go - with the low sugar pectin. But unless you are growing your tomatoes yourself, it's probably cheaper to just buy it.

I love those orange and blue blocks! So cute!

I have to get on it and finish something for tomorrow!

jess said...

I haven't found the secret to making a sauce I like... However! I do make really good, canned tomato soup. I process them, usually a jar or two at a time- preserving whatever I have on hand at that moment, which usually isn't much. But it's such a treat during the winter!

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe all those tomatoes only made 2.5 quarts. Who would have thought? I buy store bought canned tomatoes too. Never a jarred sauce, freshly made is always best. Love the blocks! Don't fret about sending the littlest off to school, she will be just fine. But I know you won't. I sometimes long for the days when the kids were little.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Calico Cat said...

A recipe is always good, but I am not the least bit embarrassed to admit that I prefer Paul Newman's sauce to my own & to most of those that I have tasted.

Amy said...

I'm with you on the tomato sauce. I bought 4.5 pounds or so of tomatoes and it only made enough sauce for one package of pasta (which is two meals for us). I didn't have any left over to freeze, and the tomatoes were not cheap. I think this is a great thing to do when you have a garden and lots more tomatoes ripe at one time than you can eat. But not if you have to buy them. I think jarred sauce tastes fine, but wish they wouldn't put so much sugar in it! That's what prompts me to make it myself, until I remember how little you get for all the time and expense....

Dresden Quilter said...

The blocks are beautiful.

amy smart said...

Love the blocks. I still get a little misty dropping off my Kindergartener each day. I guess it's only been a week.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

blocks look great!! i wish you were sending them to me...

retirednana2008 said...

What great work!! (quilting and canning) I check your blog daily, but don't think I've commented....but I did do the zig zag quilt along w/you.
Just wanted to say that I can't help but think that you are a very fine christian young mom!!

Terriaw said...

Gorgeous blocks Amy! I really love them. I have two bags of tomatoes from our garden to deal with this weekend. I could use a recipe for tomato sauce; otherwise I'll go to Betty Crocker.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The blocks for Amy are awesome - the fabrics looks just perfect in those designs.

em's scrapbag said...

Love your blocks.
Your Ella is the same age as my DD. Aren't they so fun.

Amy said...

Cute blocks! I make homemade tomato basil sauce with fresh tomatoes, but only because I grow my own tomatoes, if I had to buy the tomatoes I would buy canned too and make the sauce with that.

Our kids must be the same age because my oldest is in 4th and my youngest just started kindergarten! I got teary eyed the first day I sent her :)

Are you taking your sister to Swiss Days? I can't wait for Saturday when we get to go!

Amanda Jean said...

that is a whole lot of tomato condensing!!!

i feel the same way about school. it's hard to see them grow up, but good at the same time. my oldest is in third grade this year. and that seems so very grown up. sniff. sniff.

Rebekah said...

first of all...those quilt blocks are adorable! I love the fabric and colors that you chose.

I'm glad I read this about using canned tomatoes before heading off to the farmer's market to pick up fresh ones. Canning can be so depressing when you start with a ton of food and end up with next to nothing (comparatively). I think using the store bought tomatoes is the way to go.

audreypawdrey said...

Your blocks are wonderful! They are so much fun to make.:)

Anonymous said...

Making your own sauce may not be financially cost effective, but at least you control and know what ingredients are in your sauce.