June 18, 2010

Featuring Thearica -- A Blogger's Quilt Festival Quilter!

I'm curious to know how many of you have made it through all the links in the festival!  I added a quick poll to the sidebar just to see :)  Today's quilter is Thearica of Pigtales and Quilts - I hope you enjoy getting to know her better!
-----

1. When did you begin quilting? 
I made my first quilt blocks at the age of 8 under the guidance of my paternal grandmother. At the age of 19 she called me and asked me to come to her house because she had sashed those blocks together after so many years and that we were going to quilt the top. My sister rode along with me and she and I, along with grandmother, granddaddy, my aunt and uncle, we quilted the entire quilt that day. It isn't the prettiest quilt in the world but to me it is Priceless!
Shortly after that, I made my first quilt from scratch and put it into a consignment shop where it sold the following day. It was from the pattern, Little Farmer Boy. The customer ordered another quilt as well so I made that one as my 2nd quilt. My 3rd quilt was an appliqued Strawberry which was traded for a handmade wooden jelly cupboard. And the rest is history! I have no idea how many quilts I have made over the past 30 years! I do know that between my 2 grandchildren, they have 15 quilts. And that number does not even begin to cover the bottom of the bucket!

2. Why do you quilt? 
I am happiest when I am quilting! It is also my sanctuary! Whenever I am feeling blue all I have do is go into the studio, turn on my classical music, turn on the machine and quilt and forget about my troubles! 

I love creating art on fabric! I love every part of the quilting process but the greatest joy is turning the quilt to the back once I am finished with the quilting! I have always done this...I have no idea why...but there is nothing any sweeter than the satisfaction one feels, when they see the beauty that emerges!

3. What is your favorite quilting tip? 
If you cannot see it from a galloping horse, then noone is going to notice! (from a fellow longarmer)

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt? 

My mother was my inspiration for the Quilt Festival. She was diagnosed with cancer in November 2007 and passed away on September 1, 2009. My friends from the HGTV Quilting and Needlework Forum all made heart blocks and sent them to a friend in Massachusetts. She enlisted the help of another friend there and they put the blocks together into a quilt. They shipped it to Texas, where another friend quilted it. She then mailed it to Virginia to another friend and she hand delivered it to me. Of course, I cried when it was presented to me! There is nothing like the love of friends when you go through a death. I use the quilt every evening when my husband and I lie on the couch watching television. It is like getting a huge group hug every single day!

5. Do you sew other things? 
Over the past couple of years I have began to do a lot of Crazy Quilting. The largest project to date was a block that I made for my mother in law for her birthday in April. I had it framed and presented it to her a few days before her birthday. I couldn't wait to give it to her. She loved it!  I also do a little bit of knitting, cross stitching (small projects), and make a few art and craft items.


6. Anything else you would like us to know about you? 
I love charity work and believe we all should use the talents that God has given us to help others. I head a yearly charitable event along with the help of the quilters from the HGTV Quilting and Needlework Forum. At the moment I am hosting our 7th annual raffle which will benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities. This is our 3rd year to work for this wonderful organization! The RMH will be presented 100% of the funds from the raffle in September of this year. We have 36 quilts up for grabs in the raffle, all of which were made by the quilters of the HGTV forum. They also sent along 10.00 each for postage to get the quilts to the winners. Last year was our biggest year to date, raising a whopping 4,000.00!!! We would love to pass that amount this year and with everyone's help, we can do just that! We invite everyone to purchase tickets for the raffle and in turn help this great charitable organization! The Ronald McDonald House Charities help so many people each and every day! You can find the pertinent information on my blog.

I have been self employed for the past 23 years, running a custodial business for the first 18 years of that time period. I retired from that line of work in 2004 and now run a professional longarm business here in Henderson, NC. I am married to a wonderful man who is by trade a tobacco farmer. I have 2 wonderful daughters and a beautiful granddaughter and charming grandson. I am originally from Alabama and moved to NC in 2003. There are 650 miles that separate me from family but we go home every chance we get. Life is good!
-----

Thank you Thearica for sharing, and many blessings in your RMH efforts!

Have a great weekend~
Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps:
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

15 comments:

Dresden Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Georgina said...

What a fabulous post - I am emblazoning your tip (the galloping horse) on my brain - I just did a show and tell and quickly pointed out all the flaws before anyone else could - as if they would - quilters are way to nice!! Next time I will be proud and self-believing.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful post and beautiful quilting.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes!!! Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.

Pamela

Lis Harwood said...

Ha ha, that's the second time I've heard the galloping horse quote in as many weeks, I'm going to adopt it too!

Sarah said...

I love the log cabin curvy quilt. Absolutely stunning!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Hey T! Loved your interview! Happy quilting!

Maggey and Jim said...

Loved the interview.She is an awesome person..
Maggey

bingo~bonnie said...

What a great interview! I felt like I was sitting right there beside you as you talked - in the sewing room of course ;)

I always love your stories behind the quilts... they all have a history as all quilts do :)

I'm so glad you were featured!!! :) and hope many new readers find their way over to your blog.

Love from Texas my friend!
Bonnie

bingo~bonnie said...

forgot to say - THANK YOU to Amy for featuring Thearica on your blog! We sure do think a lot of her over on the HGTV Quilter's message board :) She is a very special person and so generous!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Kathi said...

You are a genuinely gracious woman. Wonderful interview T!

Thearica said...

Thank you ever so much Amy for allowing me to be the featured quilter from your Bloggers Quilt Festival! It is such an honor and one I will treasure for a very long time!

And thank you to everyone for the awesome comments. :)

Allie said...

GREAT interview - great quilter! Thanks Amy, these interviews are wonderful to read. I still haven't made it all the way through the Festival, yikes!

Lady Beekeeper said...

I know Thearica and not only is she incredibly talented - she is one hot mama! Just ask her husband, who thinks she walks on water. :) T is one of those gracious, kind souls who does well at whatever she sets her hand to. She's a ball of fire and a real inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Thearica is a very special and caring lady.When my little girl became serious ill last year, she send all the way to Holland my little girl a very special quilt as a comfort quilt.My daughter pulled through and Thearica's beautiful quilt is for everyone to see in our livingroom,and is always a reminder that there are atill loving and caring people in this world!Especially as you realize Thearica didn't know us at all.
Woman like Thearica make the world a so much better place,we need more Thearica's!
Greetings from Stempelientje.