June 21, 2010

Challenge Quilt Complete

Hi friends :)  I hope you had a great weekend!  We spent ours in Dinosaur, camping with the kids.  I'll have to tell you about it later this week.  Right now I want to show you the mini quilt I made for a design challenge with the local guild.
I was given this page from a seed catalog, and given instruction to take inspiration for a quilt from it.  I mentioned before that I really liked the picture on the left, with the shadows and variety of green...Here's the finished product ::
 The most artsy quilt I've made to date!  I first put in the lines, thinking about the vines, while not straight vines do offer structure and support.  Then I added as much haphazard free motion quilting as I could in order to keep all my circles in place.
 Some of the edges are bent over onto itself and others flap a tiny bit.
I hope you can see the texture in this one.  I didn't wash it, but I did throw in the dryer with a bunch of wet clothes!  I wanted it to fluff up without too much fraying :)  What do you think?  I had fun just being creative with it - I tend to over think stuff...

-----
If you are planning to quilt-along with me this week, here's a few posts that will help to prepare you ::

Basics:  Accurate 1/4" Seams
Basics: Cleaning a Sewing Machine
Basics: Squaring Your Fabric
Basics: Unpicking Stitches
Pressing Seams Open

I'll be back tomorrow with our first two blocks!
Amy
---------------------------------------------------
Next steps:
Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side
Shop with Amy
Follow Me on Twitter
Become a fan of Amy's Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to the first two blocks tomorrow. I am giddy with excitement!

Cecily said...

That's really pretty. It's a beautiful art quilt and love the impressionist feel and the depth the quilting adds to it.

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

what a nice piece of art you have created ; as usual !

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Super cute! Hope you're having fun camping! :)

momto2wasd said...

It looks great! How do you manage to work so quickly?? I'm amazed!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love your design and your process. Very creative and clever! I only make small quilts for my Santa dolls but larger quilts always inspire me. Clever lady!

Tammy said...

What fun!

Did you NOT turn under your edges on this circles to applique them on the main piece? What about ravel?

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Leslie said...

this is so cool

Marlynn said...

Gutsy quilt, turned out great though! As for the Camping if its the Dinosaur I'm thinking of, I had no idea there was camping there, but then why would I when I live right next door! Haha

Vicki said...

The quilt is so cute!
Dh and I went to Dinosaur when I was brand new pregnant with my oldest child. We've got to get back there with the kids some time!

Kelly O. said...

I'd say it's a winner ;)

Allie said...

That's darling - I love the texture of it too! Good job Amy!

Ramanda said...

Ooo I wanna hear all about your camping trip! Dinosaur Nat. Monument is one of our favoritest camping spots. There is a spot where the Yampa and the Green rivers meet called Echo Park!!! Breathtaking! I am biased though because I grew up in Vernal so it was literally my back yard. Hope you had fun!
Love your pea quilt! It turned out wonderfully!

em's scrapbag said...

What a great idea for a challenge. You did a great job! Love it!

Bev said...

I love your interpretation of the peas! Fun piece and fun idea.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I think you took the inspiration and made a really great quilt!

Lisa Chin said...

Beautiful! Great interpretation!

jenashford said...

How cool! I'd like to try something like this someday!

Lindsay said...

what a cool quilt, love all the texture, and good for you for exploring something different. its often hard for me to go outside the box with design, I'm a very by the book kind of girl who marvels at those who can venture from the book :)

Can't wait for the quilt blocks to start! My fabric is all ready to go!

Anonymous said...

I must admit, when I saw your work on this the other day, I could not even imagine how you were going to put it together. I also like more traditional quilts best. That being said, when the pictures came up on your blog, I really, really like it! Congratulations! This is really quite lovely. Thank you for sharing your progress and pictues with us.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Great finish, even if it is still peas...